Re: [htdig] How to manage infinite-loop conditions in Htsearch. (3.1.5)

Subject: Re: [htdig] How to manage infinite-loop conditions in Htsearch. (3.1.5)
From: Sphboc@aol.com
Date: Tue May 09 2000 - 14:19:02 PDT

Sorry --

I meant htdig -- the process which actually goes out and searches the
website(s). "Seems logical" that, if htdig is initiated from a unix-shell
script, there ought to be a way to limit elapsed time; does anyone have a
working example of this/equivalent?

<< According to Sphboc@aol.com:
> Appears that, in real world, htsearch HTDIG 3.1.5 will from time to time
loop; due
> basically to configuration file not set up to deal with actual conditions
at
> searched web site(s).
>
> Does Unix have any ability to limit elapsed time (and/or disk space) used
by
> an attempt to run htsearch? Hopefully, giving the ability to obtain/test
> return code, etc.

 Currently, htsearch sets a time limit of 5 minutes. This can be changed
 by changing the alarm() call in htsearch/htsearch.cc, to whatever limit
 you want. The only thing I can think of that would make it take that long
 is if you have a huge database and you search for a very common word.
 You may also want to have a look at http://www.htdig.org/FAQ.html#q5.10
 for suggestions. By the way, htsearch shouldn't be consuming any disk
 space at all - its only output is the HTML it sends out to your browser,
 and possibly a small log entry. >>