Re: [htdig] Question about htdig

Subject: Re: [htdig] Question about htdig
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Tue May 09 2000 - 13:38:54 PDT

According to Celeste:
> I work for the Division of Continuing Studies of the University of
> Wisconsin-Madison. We are interested in adding search to our site(s).
> Does your program work on a IIS server? Also, your information refers to
> a database. Do we have to have a database in order to use your program?
> We don't have one and are looking for a text based search feature to use
> until we do have a database.

The ht://Dig package can certainly index pages from an IIS server, but
I think what you're asking is whether the package can run on a Windows
9x or NT server. It can, if you build it under the Cygwin environment,
which allows you to port POSIX-compliant programs to NT. A pre-built
version is available, but you still need to install the Cygwin package
in order to run it.

As for the database, ht://Dig uses the Berkeley DB package, which is
bundled in with ht://Dig, so you don't need to install it separately.
It's not a full-featured SQL database package, but it does the job for
ht://Dig's purposes.