Re: [htdig] How to manage infinite-loop conditions in Htsearch. (3.1.5)

Subject: Re: [htdig] How to manage infinite-loop conditions in Htsearch. (3.1.5)
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Tue May 09 2000 - 13:04:30 PDT

According to Sphboc@aol.com:
> Appears that, in real world, htsearch 3.1.5 will from time to time loop; due
> basically to configuration file not set up to deal with actual conditions at
> searched web site(s).
>
> Does Unix have any ability to limit elapsed time (and/or disk space) used by
> an attempt to run htsearch? Hopefully, giving the ability to obtain/test a
> return code, etc.

Currently, htsearch sets a time limit of 5 minutes. This can be changed
by changing the alarm() call in htsearch/htsearch.cc, to whatever limit
you want. The only thing I can think of that would make it take that long
is if you have a huge database and you search for a very common word.
You may also want to have a look at http://www.htdig.org/FAQ.html#q5.10
for suggestions. By the way, htsearch shouldn't be consuming any disk
space at all - its only output is the HTML it sends out to your browser,
and possibly a small log entry.