Re: [htdig] unknown locale, but really strange, not the normal problem

Subject: Re: [htdig] unknown locale, but really strange, not the normal problem
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Mon May 08 2000 - 14:58:46 PDT

According to Albert Kasper:
> Sorry, I'm not quite familiar with what is standing at the url you gave
> (some c-program). Could you please give me detailed instruction on how to
> check availability of locale?

Copy the C program from the message into a plain ASCII text file, save
it with a name like testloc.c, and then compile and run it as follows:

        cc -O testloc.c -o testloc
        ./testloc de_DE

It will spit out 256 lines, one for each character, each containing a
code like one of the ones I mentioned previously. Characters 192 through
255 (except 215 & 247) should be accented letters, but if the codes for
them are something like ----------c-?, then the locale is treating them
as control characters, which would suggest the locale is not working.
In this case, try other locales, one at a time, as an argument to
./testloc, until you find one that works.