Re: [htdig] Can one htmerge twice etc ?

Subject: Re: [htdig] Can one htmerge twice etc ?
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Sat May 06 2000 - 07:19:52 PDT

At 3:28 AM +0300 5/6/00, Peter L. Peres wrote:
>the allowed call order ? Can one run htdig, then run htmerge twice ? Will
>that affect something ?

Not usually, no. If you call it again, htmerge will go through the
same process, but it will produce the same result.

>Do they need to be run exactly once each, in a specific order, or can one
>delay the other runs (and live with more than one run of some).

Typically if you're updating your databases, you want to call htdig,
then htmerge, then htfuzzy (if needed). Since htmerge will remove
documents (and thus words), you really shouldn't do any of the
htfuzzy methods until the final word database is generated.

>So far I understand that one can run htdig (-ils) then run htmerge, maybe
>run htmerge again (if one runs out of disk space), then htfuzzy, then

Uh, this is where I'd take issue. Remember that htmerge will sort and
edit your db.wordlist file. So if you run out of disk space and
you've overwritten your db.wordlist, then you're going to lose words.
If you run out of disk space and htmerge was writing your word
database, then the word database is really in some unknown state. The
databases do not currently have transaction support or rollback. This
is why most people update copies of their databases and make sure
things go right before moving them into place.