Re: [htdig] Htdig unable to read link

Subject: Re: [htdig] Htdig unable to read link
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Fri May 05 2000 - 19:58:39 PDT

At 9:30 PM -0500 5/5/00, Chad Phillips wrote:
>My companies web site has some dynamic content that is made by java
>servlets. I can't seem to get htdig to index the links. It reads
>the url fine, but says that it is a broken link.

Ok, so from your message, I can tell that you're using some flavor of
3.2.0 beta. It would be useful to know what version you're using,
what your config file looks like and so on.

Also, I assume you read the upgrade guide mentioned in the release notes?

>Htdig used to index them fine, but we made some changes to the
>server and java code and now htdig can't read them. Does anyone
>have an idea on what is wrong with htdig? or what the servlets may
>be doing wrong.

It's really hard to tell from your description what's going on. The
URL you posted looks OK, but the referer looks a little weird. Still,
why do you think it's a problem with ht://Dig? You say you made
changes to the servlet code--are your old URLs still valid? If you're
running an update of your databases, then you must remember that it
will go through and check the old URLs.

>http://www.aafp.org/servlet/mntPress?prhtml=press_list_pub&actioncode
>=list&category=press Ref: http://:0

One other thing is worth mentioning--in 3.2.0 (and to a limited
degree in 3.1.5), it will stop indexing servers that it cannot reach.
So if your server causes a timeout and the indexer cannot get through
on a retry, it will mark the server as dead. This can be set in
3.2.0b2 and later through things like tcp_max_retries and
tcp_wait_time as mentioned in the release notes and documentation.