Re: [htdig] unknown locale, but really strange, not the normal problem

Subject: Re: [htdig] unknown locale, but really strange, not the normal problem
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Fri May 05 2000 - 14:28:08 PDT

According to Albert Kasper:
> I'm using htdig on my site and want to enable search for umlauts.
> System is Red Hat Linux 6.2
>
> Directory /usr/share/locale exists, sub-Directory "de_DE", too.
> -----
> ls /usr/share/locale/de_DE
> LC_COLLATE LC_CTYPE LC_MESSAGES LC_MONETARY LC_NUMERIC LC_TIME
> -----
>
> So this should be fine, too.
> I inserted in the conf-file the line "locale: de_DE", which should work
> fine.
> However, he still says "unknown locale"
> So i'm quite desperated, since the locale exists on my system.
> Any hints?

That is strange. Many systems have hopelessly broken implementations
of locales, but I didn't think Red Hat Linux would have a problem.
Locales didn't work in 4.2, but 5.0 (with updates), 5.1, 5.2, and 6.0
all worked fine, so I'd expect 6.1 and 6.2 to be OK too.

The following message from the archives contains a little test program
that can let you see the LC_CTYPE tables for any locale, to aid in finding
one that works.

    http://www.htdig.org/mail/2000/01/0246.html

Look for lines that have -a-un-.gt---? or -al-n-.gt---? next to upper-
or lower-case accented characters as a sign the locale is working. The
"." above can be x or -, and the "?" may be b, - or ?.

If the de_DE locale works with this test program, then the problem must
be with your configuration. Are you sure the config file in which you
added the locale definition is the one htdig is using? Is there more than
one definition of locale in the file?

If the test program doesn't give correct results, then sadly it would
suggest that locales are broken again. Perhaps de_DE is broken, but some
other de_* locale, or any Western European locale, will work?