Re: [htdig] Portuguese

Subject: Re: [htdig] Portuguese
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Fri May 05 2000 - 14:18:54 PDT

According to Rodrigo Luiz Anami:
> Anyone has success in configuring htdig with other language like portuguese ?
> I have installed htdig on a slackware linux machine for support portuguese
> language, but when I look into db.wordlist after running htdig It don't
> have some accented word. For example, words like serviço and usuário
> appears "serv" and "usu" in db.wordlist. Any ideas ?
>
> PS: I read the FAQ and other documents, and set locale: pt_BR.

I think the FAQ needs to be expanded a bit.

If you set your locale, you must reindex your documents. If it still
doesn't recognize accented characters, then the locale you selected
doesn't work. Look in the /usr/share/locale directory for a subdirectory
of the name of the locale you want.

If it's not there, or it is but doesn't contain a file named LC_CTYPE,
then that locale is not correctly defined. You'll need to try another
until you find one that does work. Most locales for Western European
languages use the ISO-8859-1 (Latin 1) character set, so in many cases
any of these locales will work equally well. This isn't always true,
though, as the locale definitions on some UNIX systems only define the
accented characters used for that particular language, and not all Latin
1 accented characters. It really becomes a trial and error process.

Some UNIX systems and libc5-based Linux systems just don't have a working
implementation of locales, so you may not be able to get locales working
at all on certain systems.

The following message from the archives contains a little test program
that can let you see the LC_CTYPE tables for any locale, to aid in finding
one that works.

    http://www.htdig.org/mail/2000/01/0246.html

Look for lines that have -a-un-.gt---? or -al-n-.gt---? next to upper-
or lower-case accented characters as a sign the locale is working. The
"." above can be x or -, and the "?" may be b, - or ?.