Re: [htdig] Suse 6.2 + symlinks + htdig 3.1.5

Subject: Re: [htdig] Suse 6.2 + symlinks + htdig 3.1.5
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Fri May 05 2000 - 12:07:58 PDT

> Note that my htsearch and plain 3.1.5 htsearch are identical, except I
> stripped mine. I also get no core dump so I can't use gdb.

You don't get a coredump because your environment has been set not to give
coredumps. See the man page for ulimit.

You can also call code inside of gdb:
gdb [programe]
run [options]

However, you probably don't want to do this with a stripped binary.

> I thought 3.1.5 is production code. No ?

Yes, and we treat segfaults seriously. However, you have also not attached
your patch, so it's impossible for us to know exactly what you have
changed. You may not have changed *htsearch*, but the code also assumes
the databases will be in a proper form--there's some limited checking but
it is possible to corrupt them.

That said, it should be pretty hard to produce a segfault. If you can
provide a backtrace with gdb, it would be greatly appreciated.