Re: [htdig] Problems compiling / using htdig with Mandrake 6.1

Subject: Re: [htdig] Problems compiling / using htdig with Mandrake 6.1
From: David Robley (huntsman@www.nisu.flinders.edu.au)
Date: Wed May 03 2000 - 17:29:14 PDT

On 3 May, Gilles Detillieux wrote:
> According to Flos:
>> I'm a French Linux newbie so please excuse the English mistakes.
>>
>> I am trying to install htdig (from htdig-3.1.5.tar.gz) on a server with
>> Mandrake 6.1. The ./configure, make and make install steps were excutes
>> without errors.
>>
>> However, when I try to run rundig (using ./rundig or sh rundig), I get
>> errors. Transcript follows, I translated the French warnings at the
>> bottom of the message :
>> ----
>> [root@darpminet sovignef]# cd /opt/www/htdig/
>> [root@darpminet htdig]# ls
>> bin common conf db
>> [root@darpminet htdig]# cd bin/
>> [root@darpminet bin]# ls
>> htdig htfuzzy htmerge htnotify rundig
>> [root@darpminet bin]# ./rundig
>> bash: ./rundig: Aucun fichier ou répertoire de ce type
>> [root@darpminet bin]# sh rundig
>> : command not found
>> : command not found
>> 'undig: line 18: syntax error near unexpected token `do
>> 'undig: line 18: `do
>> [root@darpminet bin]#
>> ----
>> bash: ./rundig: Aucun fichier ou répertoire de ce type -> means no such
>> files or directory
>>
>> I would be very grateful is someone could give me a clue as to what to
>> try next.
>
> This is very strange, but it seems to me as though your installed rundig
> script is corrupt, or there's something very strange about your shell.
> The script is rather standard Bourne shell syntax, so I can't see any
> good reason for getting syntax errors. You can always try repairing the
> script if it's messed up, or you can manually run the commands it usually
> runs. These are "htdig -i", "htmerge", "htnotify", and for the first run
> "htfuzzy endings" and "htfuzzy synonyms".

This is a wild guess - but is it possible that rundig has somehow
acquired DOS end of line characters? I've known this to do weird things
in shell scripts.

Open it with vi and see if there are ^M characters at the end of each
line - if so, delete them and try again.

Cheers

--
David Robley                        | WEBMASTER & Mail List Admin
RESEARCH CENTRE FOR INJURY STUDIES  | http://www.nisu.flinders.edu.au/