Re: [htdig] Suse 6.2 + htdig 3.1.5: looping again

Subject: Re: [htdig] Suse 6.2 + htdig 3.1.5: looping again
From: Peter L. Peres (plp@actcom.co.il)
Date: Tue May 02 2000 - 15:03:03 PDT

Hi,

let me re-clarify myself here:

1. wrt Apache symbolic links: I know about that, but I am using symbolic
links extensively under DocumentRoot. This server never was meant to be,
and never will be available on the Internet. It is meant as an in-house
documentation (among other things) server. The security issue is thus
moot. Everyone who can browse the machine also has a shell and ftp account
on it and can do what he pleases. Security is not an issue, excepting the
obvious system integrity things.

2. wrt limit_urls_to and other ways: I am aware of that, but as I said, a
large part of the docs I am indexing are spread out in the directory tree.
I think that it would be a major effort to have to change the htdig config
every time i have to add such a tree, which is done by adding a symbolic
link in a certain place in the DocumentRoot. I'd like to have htdig run
from cron with -a etc once in a while and forget about it.

3. I am aware of the fact, that the feature might be indesirable to some,
therefore one of the questions was, what a good config name would be, for
it.

Let there be no doubt that I will patch 3.1.5 here to do as i wish, within
a week or less. If you do not want the patch, that's ok with me ;-).

thank you again for your patience,

        Peter

PS: I really have to go to sleep now. It's 1AM here. Bye.