Re: [htdig] Suse 6.2 + htdig 3.1.5: looping again

Subject: Re: [htdig] Suse 6.2 + htdig 3.1.5: looping again
From: Peter L. Peres (plp@actcom.co.il)
Date: Tue May 02 2000 - 12:35:04 PDT

Hi,

On Tue, 2 May 2000, Geoff Hutchison wrote:

>On Tue, 2 May 2000, Peter L. Peres wrote:
>
>> OK, so I see double, and 'less' does too, since I've been using it to look
>> at the log (search). Look, I'm new to htdig, so please bear with me here.
>
>OK, so why don't you send us the list that you're referring to and as many
>details as you can about what the list is and your configuration (i.e. how
>do you run htdig and what is your htdig.conf and version of htdig). I'm
>really not quite sure what you mean by "log(search)."

I've deleted the list for space reasons. The list I refer to is the output
of htdig -v captured in a text file. NOT the url list. I have turned the
URL list generation off, it makes things run significantly faster on this
small machine.

>Good question. If you try to index *just* this directory, do you see
>anything funny?

Ill try this later. I suspect that the problem is at the html/directory
index boundary. More precisely, if a directory with files appears as a
HREF in a HTML document, and if that HREF causes an APACHE index to be
returned, then the htdig loops and re-indexes that directory again and
again under certain conditions (which ?!).

So far the only things I've noticed about the bad directories are:
a) they are very large, > 500 files in them
b) have mixed text, HTML and other files
c) have subdirectories (not sure)
d) have no index.html in them

I'll try to index the directories later and post the configs and all.

thank you for your help,

        Peter