Re: [htdig] Configure errors

Subject: Re: [htdig] Configure errors
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Mon May 01 2000 - 10:14:03 PDT

On Mon, 1 May 2000, Brad Handy wrote:

> I tried installing ht://Dig on the server of a client and I got this error
> in the configure log. I was wondering what I need to change to try to get

I think you misunderstand the purpose of the configure script. At is
fundamental, the script is a bunch of tests, either for programs,
libraries, headers, or whatever.

At this point in the script, it's compiling a bunch of test programs.
Basically, it wants to make sure the source compiles cleanly regardless of
your system's particular variations. So you expect that some of the tests
will fail, and looking at the config.log isn't going to be very useful
unless you're trying to figure out why a particular test wasn't working
correctly.

From an end-user perspective, you don't care what's in the config.log
99.99% of the time. You just run the script and then run "make" to
compile. If that doesn't work correctly, then we'll start looking at
things like the config.log.

Sorry for the long-winded explanation.