Re: [htdig] htdig / Suse 6.2: very long run ?

Subject: Re: [htdig] htdig / Suse 6.2: very long run ?
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 26 2000 - 06:17:54 PDT

At 10:45 AM +0100 4/26/00, Adam Rice wrote:
>Okay, so this won't work on hardcore SysV systems that don't have
>flock() emulation, but there can't be many of those left around. It's
>silly to be trashing your own databases when locking is so easy to do.

The problem at the core is that the Berkeley DB code itself is
supposed to have actual locking. However, it *doesn't* work on
various platforms. And I hesitate to introduce a lock on a lock. :-)

In the 3.2 code, the situation should be a bit better because we've
essentially recoded a good chunk of that code. So the databases
should actually lock cleanly.