Re: [htdig] htdig / Suse 6.2: very long run ?

Subject: Re: [htdig] htdig / Suse 6.2: very long run ?
From: Peter L. Peres (plp@actcom.co.il)
Date: Wed Apr 26 2000 - 03:38:25 PDT

Hi,

  thank you for the input. I will not (yet) upgrade. I have a lockup in
the Suse directory tree /usr/doc/packages, more specifically:

/packages/javadoc/docs/api/*

  I will try to break the lockup by changing the directory permissions so
the server will return a 404 temporarily for this tree.

  I found the problem by using less on the db.urls file (>200MB) and
searching for the currently displayed URL in the htdig -v output. It
appeared about 50 times ;-).

  I have re-assesed my document size and I have more like 220MB of data to
index, but most of it is plain files and directories. I have set the
niceness of htdig to +18 for these maintenance sessions. This makes the
machine just barely useable.

thank you again,

        Peter