Re: [htdig] htdig / Suse 6.2: very long run ?

Subject: Re: [htdig] htdig / Suse 6.2: very long run ?
From: Torsten Neuer (tneuer@inwise.de)
Date: Wed Apr 26 2000 - 01:15:47 PDT

Geoff Hutchison wrote:

> At 12:47 AM +0300 4/26/00, Peter L. Peres wrote:
> >I am using -v, -i and I have set the config to generate url and image
> >lists. The machine does nothing in particular besides indexing, it is a
> >headless one with ethernet connection only on my home network.
>
> I was referring more to having other copies of htdig running.
> Sometimes people have htdig running from a cron job and if a run
> takes too long, cron spawns another copy and they "collide." Not
> pretty. :-(

Can easily be avoided by using semaphores or lock files within the
rundig
script ;)

[...]

Since all this is about ht://Dig coming from a SuSE package, and afaik
no version number was issued in the thread, I'd suggest to download the
latest stable version (3.1.15) of Ht://Dig from the ht://Dig FTP site.
SuSE is normally quite behind in its distribution of ht://Dig (or they
even distribute developer versions), so this might also be a cause for
the bad performance.

cheers,
  Torsten