Re: [htdig] Using H1 instead of TITLE

Subject: Re: [htdig] Using H1 instead of TITLE
From: Rutger Wessels (rarwes@dds.nl)
Date: Sun Apr 23 2000 - 03:26:08 PDT

> According to Rutger Wessels:
> > For a large webproject, I used HTDIG to index the site. But the site
> > uses file locations in the <title> tag in order to locate files in the
> > directory structure. I know that's not the best thing to do, but the
> > people who maintain the whole site like it that way and since frames
> > are used, end users never see those titles in the browser.
> >
> > But in search results, the <title> tag is used. Is there a way to tell
> > htdig to use <H1> instead? All files have a title in H1 tags, so I
> > want that text in the search results.
> >
> > I checked the docs but couldn't find anything.
>
> About the only thing you could do without modifying the source would be
> to set title_factor to 0 so that the text in <title> tags doesn't go
> into the word database. That still won't stop htdig from storing the
> title and showing it in search results, though. The only way to do what
> you want is to edit the do_tag() function in htdig/HTML.cc, to treat the
> <h1> tag as it now handles <title>, and probably turn off indexing
> between <title> and </title>.

Hi,

Thanks for pointing me to the right function to modify. I modified
htdig/HTML.cc, I'm not an experienced C++ programmer but it was
easy.
So now htsearch returns text in h1 tags as headings in search
results instead <title> tags. If people are interested, I make an
HTML page with the changes. You only have to ask.

rutger