Re: [htdig] Wrappers and htdig 1.3.5

Subject: Re: [htdig] Wrappers and htdig 1.3.5
From: Edmond Abrahamian (edmond@tripos.com)
Date: Sat Apr 22 2000 - 23:00:37 PDT

On Sat, 22 Apr 2000, Brandon Bell wrote:

> * Made some attempts to get htsearch's output to be more HTML 4.0
> compliant. It quotes all HTML tag parameters, and uses ";" instead of "&"
> as parameter separator in URLs for next pages. Reserved characters in
> parameters are now encoded. Please note that this may break a variety of
> CGI wrappers, for example, those written in PHP3.

The quotes were not a problem for me, but the ';' was. In my case, Perl's
CGI.pm module could not handle this separator. I looked at the latest
version's documentation, and it did not seem to have an option to specify
a different parameter separator than '&'. My only recourse was to change
htsearch. This is really very easy. In Display.cc, the (small) method
Display::createURL needs to be changes to use '&' instead of ';'.

> I'm using a PERL wrapper and GET for my form submission method so I can
> analyze what people are searching for. My PERL wrapper handles the initial
> search request just fine, but of course chokes big time when you try to
> move to another page due to the change in the URL encoding there.

Another way is to change CGI.pm, or even the wrapper if you are parsing
the QUERY_STRING yourself. In my case, changing Display.cc was the easiest
(and laziest) thing to do...

I think the correct way to do it (at least in my case, and IMHO) is to
change the perl CGI module to be able to be told what the separator it
should be looking for looks like.

In any case, I believe you would still run into the same problem with POST,
as it wants to write out the query string in the same format, but the CGI
program reads it in from stdin.

  edmond