Re: [htdig] Htdig and MySql

Subject: Re: [htdig] Htdig and MySql
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 19 2000 - 15:47:48 PDT

At 9:34 PM +0200 4/19/00, Tamas Nagy wrote:
>I plan to build an online lexicon based on a database table (term,
>description, etc.). Is there any way to index a database table content with
>htdig? May I use some kind of parse script or any other tool to allow this?
>Is there any steps to this direction?

I'd first ask myself how you're putting the database on the web. If
there is a URL associated with it (i.e. it's being driven by CGI or
SSI or PHP or whatever), then you can index it with ht://Dig.
Essentially, the htdig program functions as a browser--that's why
people use the term "robot."

So if a user can come to your site and browse the data, you can
probably index it with ht://Dig.

Now you could use either an external parser (or in 3.2, an external
protocol script) to help out, but it still comes down to the question
of URL. It needs to tie the data to a URL.

I hope that answers your question,