Re: [htdig] Using H1 instead of TITLE

Subject: Re: [htdig] Using H1 instead of TITLE
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Thu Apr 13 2000 - 14:54:03 PDT

According to Rutger Wessels:
> For a large webproject, I used HTDIG to index the site. But the site
> uses file locations in the <title> tag in order to locate files in the
> directory structure. I know that's not the best thing to do, but the
> people who maintain the whole site like it that way and since frames are
> used, end users never see those titles in the browser.
>
> But in search results, the <title> tag is used. Is there a way to tell
> htdig to use <H1> instead? All files have a title in H1 tags, so I want
> that text in the search results.
>
> I checked the docs but couldn't find anything.

About the only thing you could do without modifying the source would
be to set title_factor to 0 so that the text in <title> tags doesn't
go into the word database. That still won't stop htdig from storing
the title and showing it in search results, though. The only way to
do what you want is to edit the do_tag() function in htdig/HTML.cc,
to treat the <h1> tag as it now handles <title>, and probably turn off
indexing between <title> and </title>.