[htdig] How to do incremental indexing, and how to estimate indexing time ?

Subject: [htdig] How to do incremental indexing, and how to estimate indexing time ?
From: Felciano, Ramon (felciano@ingenuity.com)
Date: Tue Apr 11 2000 - 17:06:35 PDT

Hello --

I've just downloaded and installed htdig on our intranet. I have two
questions:

1. Although it doesn't seem to be documented explicitly, I assume that
htdig's default mode of operation is incremental. That is, htdig will only
index new pages unless you specify -i on the command line. Can someone
confirm this for me? If this is the case, it seems like a worthwhile
addition to the documentation given that the mnemonic switch for
non-incremental mode is "-i" (!).

2. Is there any way to get a sense for how long htdig will run? For example,
assuming no pages need to be updated, how long would it take htdig to scan
through 10,000 pages? Obviously this is CPU dependent, etc. but I'm trying
to get an order-of-magnitude feel.

Thanks!

Ramon