Re: [htdig] htdig and alt img tags

Subject: Re: [htdig] htdig and alt img tags
From: David Robley (huntsman@www.nisu.flinders.edu.au)
Date: Tue Apr 11 2000 - 00:08:04 PDT

On 11 Apr, Byron Jones wrote:
> greetings,
>
> i'm a new user to htdig (3.1.5). things are working great except for one
> thing..
>
> htdig is indexing my alt tags from my images, and i don't want this to
> happen. i've got a standard header at the top of all my pages and it's the
> alt tags from the images in my header that gets displayed as part of the
> search results.
>
> looking through the archives for this list, it looks like this is a recent
> feature.. and that there should be a configuration tag to disable it (see
> http://www.htdig.org/htdig3-dev/1999/06/0004.html). i've looked through
> the source for HTML.cc and it appears that there _is_ a configuration
> directory to ignore alt tags.. only i don't know what it is :( img_factor
> isn't listed as a valid configuration variable.
>
> for the time being i've commented out the alt section of code from HTML.cc,
> however as this solution isn't that portable (ie it probably will be
> forgotten when it comes time to upgrade htdig) i'm keen on putting the
> appropriate entry into the .conf file. is anyone able to shed some light
> on this matter for me?

I'll leave that for more knowledgeable heads than mine...

> also, while the database is being built, if i do a search, the results come
> back with the correct number of results, however no results are shown. is
> it possible for either htsearch to be fixed so that is shows results, or
> for htsearch to display a message stating that the database is being
> rebuilt and to try again later?

You need to use the -a flag when running htdig and htmerge. From the
website:

-a Use alternate work files. Tells htdig to append .work to database
   files, causing a second copy of the database to be built. This allows
   the original files to be used by htsearch during the
   indexing run. When used without the "-i" flag for an update dig,
   htdig will use any existing .work files for the databases to update.

The rundig script that comes with the distro should do this for you.
Don't forget to set the temp directory!! if you use the script.

Cheers

--
David Robley                        | WEBMASTER & Mail List Admin
RESEARCH CENTRE FOR INJURY STUDIES  | http://www.nisu.flinders.edu.au/