Re: [htdig] Searching with prefix

Subject: Re: [htdig] Searching with prefix
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Sun Apr 09 2000 - 15:54:10 PDT

At 4:19 PM -0700 4/7/00, Frances Santiago wrote:
>Search results for '(ear* or ear or earata or earching or earlene1 or
>earlier or earliest or early or early3 or earn or earned or earnest or
>earnings or earth)'
>[snip] I have no idea how the search pulled earlene1. Can anyone clarify?

If you searched for ear* then this would match anything starting with
those three letters, including things that you saw.

You can cut back on the number of prefix matches with max_prefix_matches:
<http://www.htdig.org/attrs.html#max_prefix_matches>

Note that cutting back on the number of matches doesn't mean they'll
be any better--it'll just pick the first X matches. If you want
endings that roughly match a language, you'll want the endings
algorithm.