Re: [htdig] Request for new htdig META property: htdig-description

Subject: Re: [htdig] Request for new htdig META property: htdig-description
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Fri Apr 07 2000 - 10:24:03 PDT

According to Geoff Hutchison:
> On Wed, 5 Apr 2000, Patrick Jennings wrote:
> > The question is: will this have any negative side affects (other than
> > making "description" function as a second "keywords" META if
> > "htdig-description" is present)? I've scanned through the code, and
> > it all looks straightforward enough...
>
> I can't think of any. I' m still trying to think if the tag is a good idea
> or not. You obviously think it's a good idea. What do other people think?
> After all, it's not called "free software" for any old reason. Good idea?
> Bad idea?

The problem is that Patrick wants htdig to support both description
and htdig-description, with the last occurrence overriding earlier
ones, while someone else wanted it to support only htdig-description,
and ignore description. What's really needed is something akin to the
keywords_meta_tag_names attribute, to select which meta names will be
used as meta descriptions.