Re: [htdig] We're looking for a "web pages monitoring agent", cud u tell us if HTDig can do what follows ?

Subject: Re: [htdig] We're looking for a "web pages monitoring agent", cud u tell us if HTDig can do what follows ?
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 07 2000 - 06:59:58 PDT

At 12:14 PM +0200 4/7/00, Philippe BRUNO wrote:
>We're brand new on this list.
>
>We're looking for a "web pages monitoring agent" that could be able to
>do what's described hereunder.

[snip]

>Now, we landed on the HT://Dig website and we would like to know if that
>software could do what we're looking for...

No. It's not intended to act as an agent and it really wouldn't do
what you want. For example, you really don't even need to index the
documents, you just want to see if the given URL space has changed.
So downloading and indexing thousands of pages is going to be a waste
of disk space for you.

I suggest checking freshmeat.net for agent software--I can't think of
any offhand, but there are programs are designed to do this sort of
thing.

Good luck,