Re: [htdig] some stupid beginner questions about htdig

Subject: Re: [htdig] some stupid beginner questions about htdig
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Wed Apr 05 2000 - 08:39:20 PDT

According to Jim Byrd:
> I created a simple "hello" c program, and tried to compile it with gcc. The
> compiler failed with a "signal 11" error. I had first executed the command
> set path=($path /opt/bin)
> to make sure that the GNU tools (which lived in /opt/bin) were available.
>
> As near as I can figure, this indicates a memory problem somewhere on the
> server. Is there anything else that can reasonably cause this?

If you're getting signal 11 errors in gcc, it's almost certainly due to
hardware problems, so even if you resolve the shared library situation,
you're very likely to run into all sorts of similar errors in any memory
intensive application, such as htdig and htsearch.

Have a look at the Signal 11 FAQ to find out more:

   http://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/docs/faqs/GCC-SIG11-FAQ

No point in wasting time hunting bugs down until you've resolved the
hardware problems.