[htdig] using a "secure" search results .

Subject: [htdig] using a "secure" search results .
From: Budd, S (s.budd@ic.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Apr 05 2000 - 06:38:37 PDT

We want the index of the whole college in one data base.
but we want two searches
  1. returns results for only departments a,b.c web servers
  2. returns results for only departments d,e ( where all pages are
protected by apache configuration ) webserver

Is the following a good method to prevent the departments
from viewing each others index results or is their a simpler method.
We do not want the limit_urls_to to be in the search form as obviously
a user could just remove this. We do not want the protected pages to appear
in the search results.

Run two versions of htsearch ( each with a different config file ) from a
different
cgi-bin directory which has been protected with
an Apache authorisation set-up allowing dept a,b,c to use say htsearchabc
and dept. d, e to use say htsearchde.

the two htsearches would have default config files with
appropriate limit_urls_to or exclude_urls set in them.

Regards
Sinclair Budd
s.budd@ic.c.uk