Re: [htdig] Searching for "All" versus "Any"]

Subject: Re: [htdig] Searching for "All" versus "Any"]
From: ccouple1@swarthmore.edu
Date: Wed Apr 05 2000 - 06:00:56 PDT

On Tue, Apr 04, 2000 at 10:53:43PM -0500, Geoff Hutchison wrote:

> OK, this is an odd problem (obviously). Let's see if we can get some
> more information. I assume the single-word queries return the same
> list?

 'Littérature' returns 54 results, none of which is the page entitled 'Littérature francophone virtuelle' BUT almost all of which contain the target string...

'francophone' returns 393 results, including (as the first result) the page entitled 'Littérature francophone virtuelle'.

'virtuelle' returns 377 results, including (also as the first result) the page entitled 'Littérature francophone virtuelle'.

> Next, let's try a few of the two-word queries. Could you check these
> under both ALL and ANY searches?
>
> Littérature francophone

ALL: 54 matches (see first case, above)
ANY: 393 matches (see second case, above)

> francophone virtuelle

ALL: 373 matches (including the page entitled 'Littérature francophone virtuelle
' as the first result).

ANY: 397 matches (including the page entitled 'Littérature francophone virtuelle' as the first result).

> I guess Littérature virtuelle might be interesting too, but the
> parser works pairwise, so these two should be the key queries.

just for yucks, then...

 Littérature virtuelle

ALL: 54 matches (see first case, at the top)
ANY: 377 matches (see results for 'virtuelle' alone, above)

> Thanks for your help!

And thank you for yours.