Re: [htdig] How to Rename Config file at MindSpring

Subject: Re: [htdig] How to Rename Config file at MindSpring
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Mon Apr 03 2000 - 20:28:40 PDT

On Mon, 3 Apr 2000 susan@elexp.com wrote:

> At MindSpring, all I did was press the “Install Button” to install the
> program so I really didn’t have any control over it (or probably ever will
> have any more control over it).

IMHO, this is a double-edged sword that MindSpring has given users. On the
one hand, it makes it easy to install. On the other, since they don't
actually see it, they have no real way to know what version it is or have
much ability to control it!

> My goal would be either to use the default name (htdig) or substitute a
> new configuration name such as elexp (I feel that using my User ID in a
> form where anyone can open up the source code and see it would violate
> half the security of my site leaving only the password for protection.)

This is a very good point. Also, if it is any older than 3.1.5, any remote
user can actually get any readable file on your disk (like /etc/passwd,
but I digress.)

I think you really need to talk to MindSpring. They probably have some
sort of URL-rewriting or wrapper going on to pick your config file. But
without knowing what they have going on, it's hard to figure out what's
up. Offhand, they probably have a wrapper that picks up your htdig.conf
file based on your accunt name in the config field.

> I have already emailed MindSpring several times and they have been
> absolutely no help at all.

I'd call them personally. But there's only so much you can do if they're
being unhelpful. You can always take your business elsewhere.

> Does anyone out there have any idea what’s going on and how I can
> change the referenced name of my config file? I can use my ftp program
> to modify files.

Without a shell account, it's not going to be easy. If you actually see a
htsearch file in your cgi-bin, you might d/l that and see if it's a script
or a binary. If it's a script, we might be able to work it out from there.