Re: [htdig] wildcard matching, 8-bit characters, and 2-letter words

Subject: Re: [htdig] wildcard matching, 8-bit characters, and 2-letter words
From: atta dubson (
Date: Sat Apr 01 2000 - 07:05:28 PST

thanks atle and geoff for the quick replies.

On Fri, 31 Mar 2000, Geoff Hutchison wrote:

> By wildcard searching, you must mean prefix searching--it's the only fuzzy
> method that recognizes the "*" character (twhich is the default
> prefix_match_character). You can switch to substring matching, but then
> you won't want to use "*" in the query. Full regex searching is available
> in 3.2.

this should be added to the default htdig.conf.
<> lists 7 algorithms,
while htdig.conf only mentions 6 algorithms.

> > 2. when i search for words with an 8-bit character, i never get any
> > matches. do i need to change something in the configuration?
> Yes. You need to set the locale in your config file. See the FAQ or
> <>

well, that was fun. i had to write my own locale files and figure out how
to install them for this language (pali). it works now.

thanks again...

from the dhammapada:
  He has no need for faith who knows the uncreated, who has cut off
  rebirth, who has destroyed any opportunity for good or evil, and cast
  away all desire. He is indeed the ultimate man. 97