Re: [htdig] searches are slooow...

Subject: Re: [htdig] searches are slooow...
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 30 2000 - 18:47:41 PST

At 8:02 PM -0600 3/30/00, Edmond Abrahamian wrote:
>Yes I read that in some previous postings and this is why I was
>surprised. In fact the old database is HALF the size of the new one!

I'm not too surprised at this for a few reasons. One, 3.0.8 simply
doesn't index everything it's supposed to. Two, the word database is
probably much larger because 3.1.5 indexes components in compound
words (like pdf and parser in pdf_parser). Finally, some people when
upgrading have more pages than the last time they indexed. (This may
or may not be an issue for you.)

> And the searches take probably about an order of magnitude less time

I believe Gilles pointed out backlink_factor and date_factor. While
it's not a speed hit for some people (maybe I'm the only one in this
category, I don't know), others see a noticeable change. See the FAQ.