Re: [htdig] searches are slooow...

Subject: Re: [htdig] searches are slooow...
From: Edmond Abrahamian (edmond@tripos.com)
Date: Thu Mar 30 2000 - 18:02:24 PST

On Thu, 30 Mar 2000, Geoff Hutchison wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Mar 2000, Jeff wrote:
>
> > > We have a fairly large intranet here and we moved from 3.0.8 to
> > > 3.1.5 and now the searches seem a lot slower (we re-dug everything with
> >
> > As for why your searches are so slow after the upgrade... has the size of
> > your document collection changed recently? Have any other variables
>
> Both Gilles and Jeff made very good points and I'll point out one more.
> The base database code in 3.1.x is *much* faster than that used
> previously. However, even in some of the 3.1.x betas, there were database
> corruption bugs and bugs in matching URLs against the limits. So you will
> almost always have a bigger database for 3.1.x because it's indexing more
> pages.

Yes I read that in some previous postings and this is why I was surprised. In fact
the old database is HALF the size of the new one! And the searches take probably
about an order of magnitude less time with 3.0.8. I am not as concerned about the
digging time, but the search time is a problem. Has anyone experienced this type
of behaviour? If not, I suppose I should be re-creating the databases...

Regards,

   Edmond