Re: [htdig] searches are slooow...

Subject: Re: [htdig] searches are slooow...
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Thu Mar 30 2000 - 14:42:00 PST

According to Edmond Abrahamian:

See http://www.htdig.org/FAQ.html#q5.10

> Curiously, once you do a search (in 3.1.5),
> if you ask for the same search but with the hits ordered differently
> (say by time instead of by score) then that next hit takes place fast
> (are recent queries being cached). Also, turning off fuzzy searches
> doesn't seem to make a big difference.

There is no caching of queries done by htsearch itself, but you may be
seeing a speedup due to the OS's disk caching. Fuzzy matches won't of
themselves cause a whole lot more I/O, unless they cause a whole lot more
documents to be matched, which will lead to htsearch fetching a whole lot
more DocumentRef records from db.docdb.