Re: [htdig] htdig-cgi-html-output

Subject: Re: [htdig] htdig-cgi-html-output
From: David Robley (huntsman@www.nisu.flinders.edu.au)
Date: Wed Mar 29 2000 - 23:45:23 PST

On 30 Mar, Christian Grandl wrote:
> Hello again,
> i'm sorry for my plenty postings, but I'm a really newbie and although
> i'm getting forward slowly there a still problems making my hair loose
> while trying to have a first little search success with htdi:
>
> After successful indexing my document on localhost I'm trying to use the
> standard search.html for the html-output with just one form for the
> words to enter.
> When i now try to use the action "post" and submit, nothing really
> happens to be seen: There is still the same browser-window with the
> search-form.
> But when i change the action to "get" the search-form disappears and the
> browser window is filled with binarydata-stuff.
> In the normal way now there had to be a new html-site generated by
> htsearch (in /opt/www/cgi-bin)including header, footer,etc, right?
> Is there a possibilty to debug htsearch or is the worm in header,
> footer-files-attributes?
>
> On the Faq-site someone had that similiar problem before, but
> those answers saying no execute permission of the binary(i'm root..),
> cgi-script-handler(this should be default on apache 1.3) give me no
> obvious hint?
>
> Someone of you got an idea about this?
>
> Any help is really appreciated
> Christian

You will almost certainly need to have put a line in your Apache
httpd.conf to tell Apache that htsearch (and anything else
in/opt/www/cgi-bin) is to be handled as CGI. Now I'm not very familiar
with Apache, but think this means an entry like

# ScriptAlias: This controls which directories contain server scripts.
ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /opt/www/cgi-bin/

and remember if you add/change your conf file, you need to restart
apache to re-read the config file.

Remember, too, that your webserver is most likely trying to execute the
cgi as user nobody, notwithstanding that you may be logged in as root;
which by the way is a Bad Thing (TM).

Cheers

--
David Robley                        | WEBMASTER & Mail List Admin
RESEARCH CENTRE FOR INJURY STUDIES  | http://www.nisu.flinders.edu.au/