Re: [htdig] recursive search with local_urls ?

Subject: Re: [htdig] recursive search with local_urls ?
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 29 2000 - 06:24:30 PST

At 1:03 PM +0200 3/29/00, Matthias Kleine - Patzschke + Rasp Software AG wrote:
>When I use the local_urls attribute - will htdig search recursively
>or just in the special directory that I have named?

I apologize up-front that I'm not going to answer that particular
question. I think an explanation of local_urls would be better. The
simple explanation is that local_urls serves essentailly as a "find
and replace" rule for URLs. So if a URL starts with the prefix in the
local_urls attribute, htdig will attempt to index through the local
filesystem using the mapping that was defined. If it doesn't find it,
it goes back to HTTP. This allows you to have some server-generated
documents amid your regular files.

But local_urls has nothing to do with how htdig searches--it still
follows any links within its limits. It doesn't make its own
directory listings, so it won't index files in a directory unless
they're linked somewhere.