Re: [htdig] (horribly-off-topic) Dummy files in Perl?

Subject: Re: [htdig] (horribly-off-topic) Dummy files in Perl?
From: Adam Rice (
Date: Wed Mar 29 2000 - 00:40:50 PST wrote:
> Is Perl's behavior specified when I try to write into (ie using the PRINT
> statement) a file variable which has never been opened?

Yes. It does nothing, unless you're running with the -w option, in which
it generates a warning.

> I'd like it to simply discard the output; can I rely upon this happening?

As long as some other part of your program isn't using the same
yes. For robustness, I would recommend running with -w and using
open(FILEHANDLE, ">/dev/null") || die "Couldn't open /dev/null ($!)\n";
assuming you're on Unix.

Apologies to the htdiggers for polluting this forum with Perliness.

Adam Rice