Re: [htdig] Choice of cache size and wordlist_cache_size

Subject: Re: [htdig] Choice of cache size and wordlist_cache_size
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 27 2000 - 05:56:14 PST

At 2:55 PM +0200 3/27/00, Mentos Hoffmann wrote:
>1) Is the cache size determined at creation of the db and later fixed?
>I created the db.* files with the default cache size. Using htsearch now
>with different wordlist_cache_size's doesn't make any difference in

First off, this attribute is only valid in version 3.2.0b1 and later.
Seconly, it will probably only have significant effect in htdig.

>2) Is the cache once it is created save somewhere on disk? e.g.
>/tmp/db.cache ?

No.

>So that the first call to htdig/htsearch creates it and subsequent calls
>to htsearch just grab it from disk to memory and reuse it again?

I think we're largely talking about apples and oranges. You're
talking essentially about a cache for htsearch. While saving the word
database cache to disk might help performance, you will still have to
read it off of disk. I would imagine a higher-level cache including
scoring and templates would produce much greater performance
improvements.