Re: [htdig] Searches Eating RAM

Subject: Re: [htdig] Searches Eating RAM
From: Jim Cole (greyleaf@yggdrasill.net)
Date: Fri Mar 24 2000 - 13:48:32 PST

Hi - What you see is probably not what you think you are seeing ;) Linux
does a lot of caching with unused memory, so though you don't see the
memory reappear as "free" memory, it is still there and available. Until
you actually need it for something it just caches recently used data on
the chance that it will again be needed.

You might want to try running free and also look at the amount of memory
tagged as "cached". If the combined "free" and "cached" memory looks
reasonable, then it is likely that all is well and nothing is eating away
your memory.

Also, there was a security bug fixed by 3.1.5. You might want to consider
upgrading if possible.

Jim

Frank Martini's bits of Fri, 24 Mar 2000 translated to: