Re: [htdig] Exclude_urls

Subject: Re: [htdig] Exclude_urls
From: Chris Tubutis (chris@broadband.att.com)
Date: Fri Mar 24 2000 - 07:33:31 PST

On 24 Mar, Geoff Hutchison wrote:

> Whoa. Hold on a second. Don't tell me you tried to search while htdig
> was running? That's a no no.

I was kinda wondering about this.... since I'm not using this in
production yet the issue hasn't gotten much attention from me but this
seems as good a time as any to ask. Apparently, trying to search for
something while htdig is reindexing things can cause grief. The question
then becomes, how do I re-index things on the fly on a nightly basis
thru cron without causing problems? One possibility might be to 1) Stop
the Web server; 2) Go re-index things; then 3) Re-start the Web server.
This should/might work, as the load-balancing stuff I'm using would
direct new incoming requests to one of the other servers and nobody
should be affected. Another possibility that comes to mind is
(re)indexing stuff while having it write the output to some innocuous
directory and then, once it's finished, go rename that directory (or
maybe move a symlink or somesuch) to the actual directory used by
htsearch. What are others doing to accommodate this? I can't seem to
find any reference to this in the docs or FAQ tho I could have
overlooked it.

ct