Re: [htdig] 3.1.5 update drama

Subject: Re: [htdig] 3.1.5 update drama
From: Anthony Peacock (a.peacock@chime.ucl.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Mar 24 2000 - 03:13:58 PST

> On 3/23/2000 at 3:25 PM, ghutchis@wso.williams.edu (Geoff Hutchison)
> wrote:
>
> > One last thought--are you using your old templates with 3.1.5? Have
> > you tried using the templates that came with 3.1.5?
>
> I rewrote the default templates completely, and haven't modified them in
> some months. I haven't looked at the 3.1.5 stock templates. They might
> be a factor?
>
> > Have you heard back about the error log? (This is a real
> > problem--they're very useful for tracking down CGI problems.)
>
> Yes. It contained 213 undated instances of:
>
> DB2 problem...: /usr/home/irons/apps/htdig-3.1.5/common/synonyms.db:
> Permission denied
> DB2 problem...: /usr/home/irons/apps/htdig-3.1.5/common/word2root.db:
> Permission denied
>
> Apparently, judging by the placement in the file of some unrelated
> ConfigDig carping I generated this morning, they persisted long after I
> had eliminated those same errors from htsearch's command line output (by
> correctly specifying the config file, whose only algorithm argument was
> 'exact:1').

What user does the Web server run as?

Has that user changed recently?

Does that user have read access to these files?

Does that user have permission to traverse the directory tree to get to these
files? (ie do all of the directories in this tree have the execute bit set for this
user?)

---
Fare Thee Well
Anthony Peacock
"The social dynamics of the net are a direct consequence of the fact that
nobody has yet developed a Remote Strangulation Protocol." --Larry Wall