Subject: Re: [htdig] 3.1.5 update drama
From: Geoff Hutchison (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Date: Thu Mar 23 2000 - 19:27:27 PST
On Thu, 23 Mar 2000, N Irons wrote:
> I rewrote the default templates completely, and haven't modified them in
> some months. I haven't looked at the 3.1.5 stock templates. They might
> be a factor?
Give it a try--comment out the template portion of your config file and
even switch to the stock nomatch and syntax files. If things work, we at
least know where to look. :-)
> You're in luck -- I got the exact same symptoms when I downgraded to
> 3.1.2. I'm positive it's the 3.1.2 binary in use, due to the $VERSION
> tag in the output. Just as with 3.1.5, it works fine from the shell,
> and returns five lonely stupid bytes to the web.
Ah. Then we definitely have some sort of permission problem. The templates
change a slight bit in 3.1.5, but I didn't think that could be a factor.
However, given this, it's clear there's something else going on.
> >00000036> Server: Apache/1.3.3
You know, you should probably update that too. I know, one thing at a
> New tack -- are there more htsearch command line arguments for
> matchesperpage, format, method, and sort? As a last resort, I'm willing
Well, you could simply take one of the Perl wrappers in contrib/ since
they call htsearch from the command-line. I believe they also show you how
to set those various attributes.
Do me a favor--check all the permissions on the htdig tree, including the
databases and template files. If you get proper error messages from the
config files, then those are probably OK. So the next permission issues
would be in the other directories.
Failing that, I guess I'd try running htsearch from the command-line as
the webserver user itself.
Williams Students Online
To unsubscribe from the htdig mailing list, send a message to
You will receive a message to confirm this.
This archive was generated by hypermail 2b28 : Thu Mar 23 2000 - 18:25:30 PST