Re: [htdig] 3.1.5 update drama

Subject: Re: [htdig] 3.1.5 update drama
From: N Irons (irons@espresso.hampshire.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 23 2000 - 19:04:38 PST

On 3/23/2000 at 3:25 PM, ghutchis@wso.williams.edu (Geoff Hutchison)
wrote:

> One last thought--are you using your old templates with 3.1.5? Have
> you tried using the templates that came with 3.1.5?

I rewrote the default templates completely, and haven't modified them in
some months. I haven't looked at the 3.1.5 stock templates. They might
be a factor?

> Have you heard back about the error log? (This is a real
> problem--they're very useful for tracking down CGI problems.)

Yes. It contained 213 undated instances of:

DB2 problem...: /usr/home/irons/apps/htdig-3.1.5/common/synonyms.db:
Permission denied
DB2 problem...: /usr/home/irons/apps/htdig-3.1.5/common/word2root.db:
Permission denied

Apparently, judging by the placement in the file of some unrelated
ConfigDig carping I generated this morning, they persisted long after I
had eliminated those same errors from htsearch's command line output (by
correctly specifying the config file, whose only algorithm argument was
'exact:1').

> I can understand your worries about having search unavailable for so
> long. On the other hand, I hope you'll continue to work at this. For
> one, you really don't want to run an insecure htsearch and for another
> I find this all very bizarre and I'd like to work out what's going on.

You're in luck -- I got the exact same symptoms when I downgraded to
3.1.2. I'm positive it's the 3.1.2 binary in use, due to the $VERSION
tag in the output. Just as with 3.1.5, it works fine from the shell,
and returns five lonely stupid bytes to the web.

Here's what my client side line-sniffer has been reporting:

Send 333 bytes.
<00000000< POST /cgi-bin/htsearch HTTP/1.1
<00000021< Host: bumppo.net
<00000033< Accept: */*
<00000040< Accept-Language: en
<00000055< Connection: Keep-Alive
<0000006D< Referer: http://bumppo.net/search/macperl.html
<0000009D< User-Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.5; Mac_PowerPC)
<000000DA< UA-OS: MacOS
<000000E8< UA-CPU: PPC
<000000F5< Content-type: application/x-www-form-urlencoded
<00000126< Extension: Security/Remote-Passphrase

Send 127 bytes.
<0000014D< Content-length: 104
<00000162<
<00000164<
method=and&words=pixies&matchesperpage=30&sort=Score&config=macp
<000001A4< erl_search_configuration&format=standard

Receive 100 bytes.
>00000000> HTTP/1.1 200 OK
>00000011> Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 02:46:04 GMT
>00000036> Server: Apache/1.3.3
>0000004C> Keep-Alive: timeout=5, m

Receive 87 bytes.
>00000064> ax=100
>0000006C> Connection: Keep-Alive
>00000084> Transfer-Encoding: chunked
>000000A0> Content-Type: text/html
>000000B9>

Receive 5 bytes.
>000000BB> 0
>000000BE>

New tack -- are there more htsearch command line arguments for
matchesperpage, format, method, and sort? As a last resort, I'm willing
to extend ConfigDig a bit and write a secondary CGI to call htsearch via
the shell, at least until 3.2.0 is ready for prime time.

Thanks again.

  -nat