Re: [htdig] cookies and session-ids

Subject: Re: [htdig] cookies and session-ids
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 23 2000 - 15:54:24 PST

At 12:47 AM -0800 3/20/00, Remi Fasol wrote:
>i suppose that's because the urls each have a
>different query string (session-id=123..) and htdig
>doesn't support cookies.
>
>is there a way to have htdig ignore these session-id
>query strings and just index each page once?

You should probably check the archives, the question about "can I
strip off query strings" comes up periodically. There may even be a
patch. But if not, you could hack htlib/URL.cc and have it ignore
everything after the ?.

But this raises another question--why are you spitting back different
session IDs? This summer I was doing similar things and we were very
careful to leave the session ID alone. It would be quite confusing
for a browser (much less htdig) to have the session change.

Also, you might consider adding code to ignore the session ID on the
server-side if the User-Agent is htdig. Obviously if it's easier to
change one part of the code or another, you go that way. ;-)