Re: [htdig] 3.1.5 update drama

Subject: Re: [htdig] 3.1.5 update drama
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 22 2000 - 12:24:47 PST

On Wed, 22 Mar 2000, N Irons wrote:

> I get access logs daily, but my hosting provider takes days to reply to
> inquiries for other things. Any suggestions for other avenues I can
> check while I'm waiting? Like a moron, I didn't save a copy of the old
> binary, so my site's search capabilities are high and dry until this is

You can always use curl or wget or your favorite command-line HTTP
retrieval program and take a look at all the server responses from an
htsearch request. Most of these have some way of grabbing the headers as
well as the actual HTML source.

Or, if you don't like that route, you can also telnet to port 80 and type
in an appropriate response:

GET /cgi-bin/htsearch?config=default.config&words=blah
[server response here]

This may or may not show error messages in advance of the Content-type
declaration, but should offer more feedback than the browser. For example,
can you get the nomatch page?