Re: [htdig] HTdig and FastCGI ?

Subject: Re: [htdig] HTdig and FastCGI ?
From: Christophe BAEGERT (cbaegert@dernieres.com)
Date: Mon Mar 20 2000 - 14:40:36 PST

Geoff Hutchison a écrit :

> At 12:14 AM +0100 3/20/00, Christophe BAEGERT wrote:
> >since I've discovered FastCGI, i've converted a lot of scripts (Perl or
> >C, but no C++ at this time) to use it. It's really easy and
> >FAAAAAAAAST. Does anyone have already thought about that with HTdig ?
>
> Yes, I think it's come up a few times, but it's never been very high
> on my list, partly because I never looked at what would be involved
> (and partly because I don't use it on my servers).
>
> Nevertheless, if you've converted C code, I don't think converting
> htsearch would be too different. If you have questions, feel free to
> ask me or the htdig3-dev mailing list. I'm sure there are probably a
> few people who'd be willing to beta test too. :-)

I've visited the fastcgi site, and it seems the C++ support is still in CVS
version only...
So I think it'd be more reasonable to wait a stable version with C++.
After that it could be easy to simply run it with FastCGI, but to run it
really faster, it needs to redesign a little htsearch.cc : all the
initialization process should be at the beginning of the program, and must
be executed once (including the reading of the db if there's enough memory
available). Only the remaining instructions should be executed at each call
(have to be in a while {...} just after the initialization. Is such a
design possible for htsearch.cc ?

Best regards,

--
Christophe BAEGERT     webmestre@biographie.net