Re: [htdig] some stupid beginner questions about htdig

Subject: Re: [htdig] some stupid beginner questions about htdig
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Sun Mar 19 2000 - 18:00:03 PST

At 8:40 PM -0500 3/19/00, Jim Byrd wrote:
>The people at the site owning the computer concluded the same thing,
>ordered new memory for the machine. In the meantime they compiled
>the htdig tools on another Intel-based machine for us.

You say "Intel-based" here--is this also a Solaris-x86 machine, or is
it a different OS?

>% htdig
>ld.so.1: htdig: fatal: libstdc++.so.2.9.0: open failed: No such file
>or director
>
>I noticed that /opt.lib contained a file libstdc++.so.2.10.0, but
>not libstdc++.so.2.9.0. Adding this file (from another machine)
>didn't help.

You have to be very careful just adding in another file, especially
libraries. They must be binary-compatible, and in many cases this may
not be true. The best way to be sure is to use the particular version
that went with that compiler. Also, you must be very careful about
transferring not just from different OSes, but from different
versions--libraries can depend on each other, so it's often difficult
to just copy from one to another.

>I suspect there is some really elementary path-related setup or
>something I should be doing so that htdig can run. But given my
>abysmal ignorance of Unix environments, I must be missing it.

On Solaris, the library loading path is set through the environment
variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH. So you'll want that to include /opt/lib or
wherever the libstdc++ lives. But it's also possible that the library
you copied over depends on something else that's not present. This is
why you want to compile the program on the server itself if at all
possible.

I hope this helps,