Re: [htdig] Advice wanted: Multiple mailing lists

From: Wayde Allen (wallen@lug.boulder.co.us)
Date: Fri Mar 17 2000 - 12:35:17 PST

On Fri, 17 Mar 2000, Gilles Detillieux wrote:

> According to Wayde Allen:
> > In my mailing list archives the messages are archived by thread, author,
> > subject, date, and also stored as a large text file (month.txt). I've
> > tried setting the exclude_urls line in the htdig.conf file to:
> >
> > exclude_urls: /cgi-bin/ .cgi subject.html author.html \
> > .txt
> >
> > This sort of seems to work, but I was wondering if anyone has a better
> > solution? I don't like excluding anything with a .txt extension for
> > instance, but also don't want to have to add an exclusion line explicitely
> > for each month.txt file.
>
> Search the archives on www.htdig.org, for words such as mhonarc. There
> have been a number of similar threads already dealing with this. The best
> approach involves insersion of tags in parts of files to prevent certain
> sections from being indexed.

OK, I've used mhonarc before. Right at the moment I'm using Mailman as my
list server and the default archiving software is pipermail. As I
remember mhonarc is quite configurable and may be a better solution.

Thanks for the tip about the indexing tags. I'll look into that.

- Wayde
  (wallen@boulder.nist.gov)