Re: [htdig] Htdig 3.1.5 -- Infinite Loop Possible?

Subject: Re: [htdig] Htdig 3.1.5 -- Infinite Loop Possible?
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 15 2000 - 21:16:53 PST

On Wed, 15 Mar 2000 Sphboc@aol.com wrote:

> In event that page a points to page b, and b points back to a, how does htdig
> avoid an infinite loop?

It keeps a list of all the URLs that it needs to visit and that it has
already seen. The only way you'll get an "infinite loop" is if there's
some way of referring to the same page by several URLs. If you have a
particular example, I could point out the problem.

> In particular, is it necessary to limit the number of hops (max_hop_count) to
> forestall this?

It wouldn't hurt, but it's certainly not the root cause. Quite often, it's
caused by a combination of an incorrect server configuration and a typo in
the links.