Re: [htdig] Htdig/Htmerge -- concurrent running.

Subject: Re: [htdig] Htdig/Htmerge -- concurrent running.
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 15 2000 - 15:22:10 PST

At 6:06 PM -0500 3/15/00, Sphboc@aol.com wrote:
>I would presume that any number of instances, of the first two steps, could
>run concurrently -- since no common output files are involved.

This is correct. I believe I used the term "poor man's
multithreading" when talking about this use a year ago.

>My specific question -- what happens if more than one instance, of the third
>step (the final htmerge) attempts to run at the same time? Unless
>"something" prevents concurrent write access, the file(s) are quite likely to
>be corrupted.

I wouldn't suggest attempting it. Offhand, I would guess the new
process wouldn't be able to get a write lock on the files. However,
this means htmerge would exit and you'd still have to go back and do
those merges. So either you do them sequentially through the script,
or it'll try (and hopefully fail) and you'll have to do them
sequentially later.

I'd be very careful with the timing of this. You might want to have
some sort of temporary lock file that implies that all the previous
steps are done or something like that.