[htdig] Htdig/Htmerge -- concurrent running.

Subject: [htdig] Htdig/Htmerge -- concurrent running.
From: Sphboc@aol.com
Date: Wed Mar 15 2000 - 15:06:40 PST

I've developed a script, similar to the following, for each of the sites
which we're indexing. The scripts appear to work as intended; couple of
questions about controlling execution of multiple versions.

../bin/htdig -asvc pbbr.conf
../bin/htmerge -asvc pbbr.conf
../bin/htmerge -asvm pbbr.conf

All files which are altered in the first two steps are uniquely prefixed by
client id (pbbr in this case). Last step, however, merges into
db.docdb.work, etc.

I would presume that any number of instances, of the first two steps, could
run concurrently -- since no common output files are involved.

My specific question -- what happens if more than one instance, of the third
step (the final htmerge) attempts to run at the same time? Unless
"something" prevents concurrent write access, the file(s) are quite likely to
be corrupted.
Do I have to schedule the merges "one at a time", or will Unix enforce this
"on its own".